This Saturday was the Army vs. Navy home basketball game. I won't get into to many details about it because I hope to find pictures of the game surface on Google later on through the week. Anyways, after double over time, army was up by 6points and only 2 seconds left on the clock; just enough time for that poor Senior who never plays to get it.
I know first hand how this feels. Last year I had two names: the water boy (for obvious reasons), or Mr. 1.7 . The 1.7 might not be as obvious as the water boy part, but that was actually the seconds I averaged per game. There are some people, like Derick Fisher who have a name similar to this. His is actually Mr. 0.7 and that was because he made a buzzer beater during the play-offs with 0.7 seconds left..... he also makes 15Million a year, two things I never have or will do.
There was nothing I hated more last year then a blow out during one of our away games. There comes a point in the game where you actually start hoping the other team will score, just so they don't make you go in. Of course, there are those games where your wish does not come true and your team is up by 15 with 30 seconds left. After sitting on my but for almost 3 hours (2 hour car ride, 45min first half, most of the second half) there was nothing I hated more then undressing from my nice comfy warmups to stand in the game for the last 30 seconds while the other team attempted to shoot as many threes as possible. On top of that, coach is basically affirming what everyone in the crowd is think: "this kid must suck so bad they are scared to play him with more time left". I could often understand 30seconds because at least then you got a mild sweat and a chance to shoot, but with 1.1 seconds left.... why bother?
So this is a tribute to all those 1.1ers out there.... keep praying the game stays close, always wear comfy boxers, and keep that water coming.
No comments:
Post a Comment