Saturday, January 21, 2012

"Running Sucks"...In a Blizzard


The title of the post comes from one of my favorite Nike shirts. I bought it because it is somewhat true, but also in a sense, ironic seeing as I have grown an addiction towards it. That all being said, Jocelyn and I have been talking about planning a trip down to Mount St. Mary's for a day, where I wake up, run down there, and just hang out. After waiting long enough to try the expedition, I decided that Saturday was the day, regardless of how I was feeling or what the weather looked like. That was probably a mistake because I woke up with 4 inches of fresh snow and another 2-5 inches expected by noon. There was also a 15-30mph wind that was whipping down the Hudson making it actually feel like 8 degrees. Yet even seeing this all happen out my window I still threw on my North Face Onesie (the tron suit as Brian Gerardi and I like to call it), a thin pair of sweat pants, and a thin long sleeve shirt. Keep in mind that the last time I used the Onsie, I was sweating, so I fully expecting to do the same on this run, regardless of the snow.
(North Face Onesie)

It is actually kind of funny how the miles were broken down. It wasn't just a "run", where you start and end. It was more of a 12 part series on how running went from "running is exhilarating!", to "running SUCKS!". The best way to do this is a break down of mile per mile. That way it shows that transition a little better.

Mile 1: "Snow storm! awesome! ....Rangers lead the way!!"
Mile 2: "Its colder than I expected it.... wish I had a hat"
Mile 3: "well, at least its snowing"
Mile 4: "I probably should have worn longer socks; there is a snow drift in my shoe"
Mile 5: "I think my eye brows and Onesie hood have ice frozen to it"
Mile 6: "Yep, my eye brows def have ice on them...also, if I blink for to long my eye lashes freeze together...Awesome.."
Mile 7: "Water break?....crud, the bottles are frozen shut"
Mile 8: "Well at least there is only a 30 mph headwind that makes the snow feel like ice bullets"
Mile 9: "Rangers lead the way!......Shut up... I want a shower."
Mile 10: "I honestly cannot tell what is snot, snow, or tears"
Mile 11: "My fingers have decided to stop responding to me... its alright, I didn't want to change the song anyways"
Mile 12: "My face has frozen into this stupid wide-mouth-bass look, my hands can't open a door, I can't look up more then 5 feet in front of me without have snow fly into my eyes....is that Jocely's dorm?!?! HECK YES! I'M SAVED!"

I did end up actually yelling for joy when I saw the street that turned up to the back of Jocelyn's college. No one was even driving on the street so I wasn't to worried about being judged.
That ended up being one of the top 10 best showers I have ever had. I had it on the scald setting and just sat in it for a good 20 mins.

2 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Any dedicated runner could relate to being caught completely unaware of the upcoming weather situation! I will be thinking of your comments and laughing the next time I get caught out in the inclimate weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! Any dedicated runner, caught completely off guard by the weather, could really relate to this! I will think of you and laugh the next time I am caught in inclimate weather!

    ReplyDelete