Thursday, November 10, 2011

Catching Up

I apologize for the long break between posts. Its been pretty crazy lately with traveling and school work. Last weekend the handball team and many other clubs went out to Colorado to play Air Force. It was a great experience not only to travel to the other side of the country, but also to compare academies. I guess I often take West Point for granted because the Air Force academy isn't everything I thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, the food was incredible, the view was breath taking, and the dorms looked like 70's architecture with the cement and glass, but it just wasn't the Mecca I had heard it was. First, Plebe year, or freshman year, sucks for them. I will never complain again after hearing what they have to do. They aren't allowed to visit other cadets unless its at the library or gym. The freshman have to stop and greet every upperclassman with the upperclassman's name, rank, position in the company, and then their slogan. This means if there is a group of 6 people, you have to say somthing to each of them before you can keep walking. When I say walking, I mean running because they aren't allowed to walk to class. Plus, their gym, library and rooms are much smaller then ours.
On that note, it was still pretty fun. We flew out on Thursday afternoon in a C-17. pretty awesome. I would fly mil-air any day. Just throw on the Bose, start up the computer and watch a movie. Or in my case, try and get some homework done.
Both varsity and JV beat Air Force. It was frustrating because I played so bad, but at least I got to talk smack to one of the Air Force Cadets that was hosting us for the weekend. Stout, pretty cool kid.
Then on Saturday I woke up at 6 (8am body time) and watch the Crossfit games between Black & Gold vs. Air Force. It was pretty sick watching them tear it up. Def set a mark of where I want to be in the near future. My company commander during Beast 2 and a SL from my current platoon were both in it (CPT Zhang and SGT Smith). I got some pictures that I will upload later, but the gym they used screamed Crossfit all over it. Dirty, unglamorous, and straight raw testosterone. They had 4 racquetball courts that they put rubber mats down and just threw some weights in. Some had rowers, other had squat racks, but for the most part there was nothing traditional about it. More to follow later.
Heading into the city this weekend with Jose Colon and a few of his buddies from G3. Should be fun, except that I got a few papers to write when I get back. Can't Wait For Thanksgiving!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment